SELDI Joint Internships Programme in Good Governance and Anti-Corruption26.02.2014
SELDI Joint Internships Programme in Good Governance and Anti-Corruption
SELDI Joint Internships Programme in Good Governance and Anti-Corruption: Experience Southeast Europeean Civil Society Organisations from Witnin
Download the announcement in PDF
The Southeast Europe Leadership for Development and Integrity (SELDI) (www.seldi.net) is an anti-corruption and good governance coalition created in November 2012 by 17 likeminded CSOs in Southeast Europe, involving partners from nine countries (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey).
The SELDI network offers an unpaid internship opportunity for outstanding students from leading European Union universities, who are interested in gaining experience in one or several leading civil society organisations in Southeast Europe on the topic of anti-corruption and good governance.
You will have the opportunity to šork with leading researchers, policy analysts, investigative journalists, and advocacy leaders from the countries of Southeast Europe on anti-corruption and good governance.
You can apply to one or several of the SELDI network member organizations to be your host institution(s). The regional joint internship can be held in at least two countries and institutions in the region, depending on the preferences of the candidate.
Candidates from all spheres of social sciences and humanities are welcome to apply.
The interns will support the work of the SELDI initiative by implementing the following activities:
• support the corruption monitoring and analysis process;
• perform desk research and statistical (survey) data analyses;
• preparation of policy briefs and background documents;
• gathering information for the upcoming corruption assessment reports;
• organisation of events;
• assist the day-to-day work of the host organization in the area of corruption monitoring and analysis;
Through the joint internship programme you can:
• Gain on the ground civil society anti-corruption experience and knowledge in more than one SEE country and/or institution.
• Have the possibility to choose between 17 host institutions in 9 countries.
• Help SEE in a critical development area and improve regional understanding in Europe.
• Visit different countries, and gain experience in different work environments and cultures.
• Focus on the same topic and methodology, and compare country specifics.
• Benefit from easy transition when moving to another host institution and/or country, since the work will follow the same research methodology and activities in all host-institutions.
• excellent university credentials
• fluency in English (second major EU language will be considered an advantage, in particular the language of the host institution’s country)
• computer literacy (spreadsheets, presentations)
• very good written and analytical skills
• organizational skills
• ability to quickly and efficiently perform searches in databases and in the Internet
• ability to work under pressure
Note: applicants that prefer the Regional Anticorruption Initiative (RAI) as host institution should consider RAI’s internship requirements.
Interns are expected to be well organised and able to adapt to a varying workload. They should have a strong desire to learn, a sense of responsibility as well as adaptability and flexibility, team work, initiative and enthusiasm.
The potential host institutions are CSOs with status of non-governmental, nonprofit organisations (or equivalent). They include:
1. Center for the Study of Democracy, Bulgaria, (SELDI Secretariat)
2. Albanian Center for Economic Research (ACER), Albania
3. House of Europe (HoE), Albania
4. Partnership for Social Development (PSD), Croatia
5. INSTITUTI RIINVEST, Kosovo
6. “Syri i Vizionit”, Kosovo
7. Macedonian Center for International Cooperation (MCIC), former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
8. Institute for Democracy ‘Societas Civilis’ Skopje (IDSCS), former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
9. Ohrid Institute for Economic Strategies and International Affairs, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
10. Center for Democratic Transition, Montenegro
11. Institute Alternative, Montenegro
12. Center for Liberal-Democratic Studies (CLDS), Serbia
13. Forum of Civic Action FORCA Požega, Serbia
14. Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation, Turkey
15. Regional Anticorruption Initiative (RAI) Secretariat, Bosnia and Herzegovina
16. Kosovo Law Institute (KLI), Kosovo
In addition SELDI is in the process of accepting partners from two more Southeast European countries – Romania and Moldova, which will also be offered as potential destinations for internships.
The recommended duration of each internship is at least 3 months. The half-day internships will be carried out in the period from Spring to Autumn 2014. During that time, following a pre-determined schedule, the intern may change its host institution and/or move to another country.
Interns are expected to spend at least 4 hours a day in the hosting organization, and will be provided with guidance on how to spend the rest of their time on understanding the culture and local environment.
The internship is unpaid.
Please, send to [email protected] the following:
• Full CV in EuroPass format in English, including contact details
• Motivation letter
• Writing sample (min. 3 pages) in English
• Please indicate to which of the host institutions you would like to apply
• Please indicate preferred period of placement. Please note that preference will be given to candidates with a minimum commitment of three months.
• Please, specify hošw you intend to cover your own travel, accommodation and daily allowance expenses.
Approval of candidates
Internship applications will be reviewed once per month (from March 2014 till mid-September 2014).
Only the candidates short listed for interview will be contacted.
Selected candidates will be contacted by e-mail or telephone, and skype or telephone interviews will be arranged with the potential host institutions.
If approved, prior to joining the internship, all candidates from abroad should obtain a medical insurance for the whole period of their commitment.